What are the consequences of desertification?
The consequences of drought and desertification are disastrous for the population. Here are many of them :
• food insecurity;
• Shortages of drinking water;
• The massive migration of populations;
• conflicts over access to natural resources;
• Decline in food production and productivity;
• Considerable costs to combat desertification, etc.
What can be done to improve the situation?
• Reforest: Trees are used to fix soils and enhance their fertility. They cut the wind and help the soil to absorb rainwater.
• Promote agriculture that does not damage the land: Do not grow a single product and let the soil rest.
• Change some of our lifestyle habits.
"The land has value, invest it! "
Desertification is a global problem that affects the ecological security of our planet, the eradication of poverty, socio-economic stability and sustainable development. According to the United Nations website, this International Day invites us to make a difference and to invest for the future by sustainable land development, under the slogan: "The land is valuable, invest it!