5. The Largest Hole of Ozone Layer
Chlorofluorocarbons, which are released by numerous daily-use appliances and products, forms one of the major reason of depletion of ozone layer. This depletion has resulted in global warming and change of climate. The largest hole created in the ozone layer by such chemicals is over the Antarctic.
Due to the ozone layer depletion, harmful UV rays, which can damage living tissues, enter the earth. Specific measures are being taken on a global level to limit the emission of CFCs.
How to Lessen the Impacts on the Environment
In your home
- Completely turn off equipment like televisions and stereos when you're not using them.
- Choose energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs.
- Save water: some simple steps can go a long way in saving water like, like turning off the tap when you are brushing your teeth or shaving. Try to collect the water used to wash vegetables and salad to water your houseplants.
- Lower your shades or close your curtains on hot days, to keep the house cool and reduce the use of electric fans or air-conditioning.
- Let clothes dry naturally.
- Keep lids on pans when cooking to conserve energy.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- Call your local government to see if they have a disposal location for used batteries, glass, plastics, paper or other wastes.
- Don’t use “throw away” products like paper plates and napkins, or plastic knives, forks and cups.
- Send electronic greetings over email, instead of paper cards.
- Buy fruit and vegetables that are in season to help reduce enormous transport costs resulting from importing produce and, where possible, choose locally produced food.
- When buying fish look out for a variety of non-endangered species and buy local fish if possible.
- Bring your own bags to the grocery and refuse the plastic bags that create so much waste.
- Look for products that have less packaging.